Patch: Many composite/blend modes mostly compatible to Adobe Photoshop (c)

Silvio Heinrich plassy at web.de
Sat Jan 15 16:21:37 CET 2011

On 01/15/2011 03:23 PM, Timothée Giet wrote:
> "Do you mean when you have several other layer and you create a new
> layer on top of them and paint
>
>     on the new layer, then the combined transparency (alpha channels)
>     of the layers under the new layer
>     is copied to the new layer and the color is used from the brush?
>     If you mean this, it would actually be a cool idea. Would be
>     pretty useful (at least for me :D), but this is not really
>     a blending mode (i mean, yes it somehow is but not really :D). I
>     think the brush code would need some modifications for that. Can
>     you tell me a program that support this (so i can try it out). I
>     haven't found something like this in Gimp or Photoshop."
>

> That's the idea, but exactly "the combined transparency (alpha
> channels) of the layers under the new layer" is not "copied"  to the
> new layer, you still paint on the whole page, as with any other layer
> blend mode (meaning if you turn it back to Normal blend mode the
> "blend effect" disapear…)
>
> I use this painting/layer blend mode on TVPaint (the best commercial
> Painting application to me ;) )
> (There was an open beta for Linux but it was usable until January 1st,
> I don't think there is a new one yet. If you can try the win or mac demo)
>
> Also this blend mode is in Open Source app SYNFIG STUDIO !!! it's a
> vector program but the Onto mode is there (with a few original useful
> others, like Straight and Straight Onto…)
> Look at here: http://www.synfig.org/wiki/Blend_Method_Parameter

Ah... ok... now i understand. This mode is meant for layer compositing.
I see how it works. It would be no problem to add this blend mode.
When/if i get a developer account and everything is all right with the
"blending modes" patch so
it can be applied, I can add this mode... would only take a few minutes :)