No subject

Mon Jan 10 00:34:06 CET 2011

http://imagebin.org/132050
http://imagebin.org/132051

With the old smudge brush, even at max rate, the brush decolorates with
time: it looks like a smudge.
With the new smudge brush (yours), at max rate (and even at intermediate
rates as long as you press hard with the tablet), the "smudge" turns
literally into a crayon, there's no decoloration, the same shape the brush
started with becomes the one it ends with.
And also at low rate the brush doesn't smudge anything at all.

I think you need to address that problem, if not with a hardcoded limit,
with a tweak to the controls (a tweak to the controls is harder because
tablet users also introduce a new factor to watch out for: the curve), or
with a logarithmic curve or something, because currently it's very easy to
cause this smudge brush to behave nearly like a clone tool (as displayed in
my screenshot).

Other than that I think your brush is fine for me (I don't know about the
rest), since 2.4 is in development I think it would be good if your brush
could be added with a new name, for example Smudge 2, such that artists can
test it and directly compare it with the old Smudge Brush, they will be the
first ones to notice any regression (because regressions are hard to gauge
anyway, sometimes what looks like an advancement to someone will look like a
regression to somebody else).

Here is me hoping to see you around in the near future,
Thank you for your contributions!

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Silvio Heinrich <plassy at web.de> wrote:

> Now it should work pretty similar to the smudge tool in gimp.
> But I still need to do some tweaks to how the rate values (color and smudge
> rates) are used.
> It only smudges/paints correctly in a certain region of the rates.
> But the transparency issues should be solved by now, so no black color
> should be introduced anymore (hopefully :P).

--20cf3054a5298a734004998551cf

Silvio, I downloaded your patch and added it to a git branch called<div><br=
iv><div>It&#39;s available in the remote repository (the master) such that =
others can check it out and play with it.</div>
 the brush, slightly transparent colors quickly become opaque:</div><div><a=
 href=3D"http://imagebin.org/132048">http://imagebin.org/132048</a></div>
uch. This is a problem the old brush had to an extent, but it was mostly ab=
ifficulty replicating the &quot;look&quot; of the old smudge brush defaults=
. Can you try to tune the defaults of your new brush to look as identical a=
s possible to the defaults of the old smudge brush?, this will help avoidin=
g unfamiliar behavior.</div>
mits defined to be 15 units away from the min (0) or max (255) to allow act=
ual mixing of colors</div>
rush doesn&#39;t smudge anymore, it either makes a single</div>
r the canvas. */</div><div>=A0=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0opacity =3D qBound(MIXABLE_LOW=
it because you put the limits in the controls or the GUI, or is it because =
you deemed it=A0unnecessary?</div>
 it was=A0unnecessary, but I&#39;ll show you a case you can test=A0yourself=
n.org/132050</a></div>
rush decolorates with time: it looks like a smudge.</div><div>With the new =
smudge brush (yours), at max rate (and even at intermediate rates as long a=
s you press hard with the tablet), the &quot;smudge&quot; turns literally i=
nto a crayon, there&#39;s no decoloration, the same shape the brush started=
 with becomes the one it ends with.</div>
 a hardcoded limit, with a tweak to the controls (a tweak to the controls i=
s harder because tablet users also introduce a new factor to watch out for:=
 the curve), or with a logarithmic curve or something, because currently it=
&#39;s very easy to cause this smudge brush to behave nearly like a clone t=
ool (as displayed in my screenshot).</div>
ne for me (I don&#39;t know about the rest), since 2.4 is in development I =
think it would be good if your brush could be added with a new name, for ex=
ample Smudge 2, such that artists can test it and directly compare it with =
the old Smudge Brush, they will be the first ones to notice any regression =
(because regressions are hard to gauge anyway, sometimes what looks like an=
 advancement to someone will look like a regression to somebody else).</div=

lvio Heinrich <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:plassy at web.de">plassy=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Now it should work pretty similar to the sm=
udge tool in gimp.<br>
But I still need to do some tweaks to how the rate values (color and smudge=
 rates) are used.<br>
It only smudges/paints correctly in a certain region of the rates.<br>
But the transparency issues should be solved by now, so no black color shou=
ld be introduced anymore (hopefully :P).<br>
kimageshop mailing list<br>