Speed of Krita 2.4

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 21:42:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Silvio Heinrich <plassy at web.de> wrote:

> Am 29.07.2011 23:30, schrieb JL VT:
> > I don't know how fast Krita is in the other branches (I haven't tested)
> > however I'd like to ask if there's a good date to start feeling really
> > worried about speed?, I don't want 2.4 to be a single bit slower than
> > 2.3, so I'd like to start hacking to try to find where our current
> > bottlenecks are; but I don't know which parts deep in Krita to touch
> > without stepping on other developer's toes, moreover, my fears may be
> > unfounded, maybe we're just a couple weeks shy of a branch merge solving
> > all these problems, but, again, I haven't kept up enough with our IRC
> > backlogs and Krita branches to be sure.
> >
> > Should I be worried?.
> >
> > Is there an upcoming branch I should be testing to help with the speed
> > bottlenecks instead?.
> >

> As far as I know we have two big bottle necks.
> The first is the creation and transformation (rotation, scaling) of the
> brush masks. The last time I profiled krita it spent 20-30% (I can't
> remember exactly anymore) of the whole processing time while painting
> with this operations.

Depends on which brush is used. Autobrush shows about 30% of the time in
processing the mask, but it's not using 100% cpu. I think there is another
bottleneck that callgrind doesn't show. Painting with predefined brushes
shows a big performance bottleneck in scaling the brush (callgrind file:
http://depot.tu-dortmund.de/get/syvg6 ) in the stroke benchmark. There is a
single method that takes most of the time, so that should be the first
target when trying to speed up things.

> The second one is the huge memory consumption of krita. I think it would
> be unlikely that the process of painting itself gets faster with a lower
> memory consumption but the overall execution of krita.
> If a lot of memory is used (and I'm talking about gigabytes) the OS
> needs a lot more processing time to manage the memory what makes krita
> slower too. And its not uncommon that you reach the memory limit of your
> system when using krita. I often have 2-4GBs in use.

Most of the memory consumption is used to speed up things e.g. all the
projection are using a huge amount of memory but save processing power that
would be needed to recalculate them.