Question about the Advanced image selection using SIOX (gsoc 2011)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Apr 30 21:54:43 CEST 2011

On Saturday 30 April 2011 Apr, silvio grosso wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a question regarding the project:
> Krita: Advanced image selection using SIOX (by Bruno Morais Ferreira)
> This Gsoc project is really interesting ;-)
> Good luck to Bruno for his work this summmer!
>
> I have read that Jie Ding, mentored by Gerald Friedland, has worked on Siox, through a Gsoc, for Gimp, in 2009 [1].
>
> This project has been a "partial" success in that it was "finished" by the student.
> Unfortunately,it has never been integrated into Gimp.
> From what I have read and gathered Gimp 2.8 will not ship its improvements :-(
>
> To make it short:
> Is it possible to take advantage of the work done by Jie Ding or it is unrelated with Krita because it only concerns Gimp?
>
> From the Siox's web-page (http://www.siox.org/) it looks like the algorithm has been improved "lately" (maybe by Jie Ding...).
> This even though its better version has not been included yet into Gimp 2.8 (we all know their lack of manpower...).
> Naturally, for Krita's benefit, I hope this is the case in order to allow you developers to use this new version :-)

We won't be able to use the code directly -- because the gimp code assumes 8 bit rgba only -- but Bruno will be able to reuse the research into the algorithms. And needless to say... His work is going into the next release, like all Krita gsoc work :-).

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org