Did something break with the selection?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Apr 28 20:26:08 CEST 2011

On Thursday 28 April 2011 Apr, Silvio Heinrich wrote:
> I don't know if someone worked on the selection code but it could be
> that something broke there.
> Just try the following.
> Create a new document and then use the gradient tool and paint a
> gradient over the document.
> At this state it should work.
> Then select an arbitrary region of the canvas and use the gradient tool
> again.
> Now it does nothing and after you deselect everything the gradient tool
> still won't work.
> After restarting the gradient tool should work again.

Hm.... I cannot reproduce that here. I did see some weird things, where the gradient tool would start drawing the preview before the first click, but I could still fill a selection with the gradient.

> And I noticed that the preview capability of the filters don't work anymore.

I still see the previews, but they don't honor the current selection anymore.

> But I think that has the same root because the filters behave
> like the gradient tool they stop working after you select something.b
> But after thinking about this it could be that the blending mode branch
> broke something there
> if the selection code relies on some specific CompositeOp.
> I mean the one selection test that broke used the subtract CompositeOp
> for some reason.
> If the selection code really needs the subtract CompositeOp it needs to
> set the channel flags right
> to restore the old behavior.
>
> I don't... does anyone know more about the selection code works?

Dmitry and Cyrille most probably. And selections have been a bete noire in Krita ever since I first implemented them. Especially the calculations of the extent of selections. I know Dmitry did some changes to selections following the calligra sprint... Dmitry -- can you check?

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org