Gsoc 2011: PSD File import/export Support for Krita

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Tue Apr 26 17:17:51 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

Today, I have taken a closer look at the fourth projects selected this year (with regard to Krita).

The "Siox algorithm" and the "tagging resources" have been selected for Gimp in the previous Summer of code :-)

In particular, I am interested in the project:
PSD File import/export Support for Krita (by Siddharth Sharma)

I know the title of the project says it all about its goal but nevertheless... :-)

The "Psd compatibilty" is really interesting as a topic.
It is very frequent to read about some open source user who ask for it [1].

Here is my question
Does this project involves also some reverse engineering of the Psd format?

In other words, at present, as everyone knows, it is somewhat possible, with Gimp, to import a psd file.
Unfortunately, by doing this, you lose some of its features (to Adobe happiness...).

For instance, I have read that with Gimp [2], when importing a Psd file, you are likely to lose:
- Layer comps
- Layer effects (shadow, glow, etc)
- Vector objects
- Layer masks and so on and so forth.

I suppose a Summer of code is too short, as a time frame, to do some "serious" reverse engineering of the Psd file.
On top of this, the title of the project doesn't mention anything about that :-)

To be honest, I am note even 100% sure it is perfectly "legal" to do so.
More precisely, I don't know well enough Adobe's restrictions about this subject.

Please, keep us posted about your progress ;-)

P.s: last year, I have found really interesting to read the students blogs concerning their Gsoc on Krita.
It would be wonderful to have the same opportunity this year :-)
As a consequence, pleeease, keep us posted about your progress ;-)

Best regards,

Silvio Grosso

[1] http://forum.intilinux.com/mypaint-development-and-suggestions/psd/
[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=825934