About Grayscaled selections

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:54:34 CEST 2011

> "    The colorspace of the selection of these device should be represented
> for a user as a grayscale image. For example: black pixel means the mask in
> completely transparent, white pixel means -- completely opaque."
>
> But does transparent means "selected" or does opaque means "selected"?

We can define any. But it would be better if we followed the way other
editors do it.

> "    Selection tools should have access to global selection only. They
> should *not* affect the selection of the mask in any way. When a user uses a
> selection tool on a selection based layer it just creates the global
> selection only. This created selection may be used to fill the area with a
> solid "transparency color" or just limit painting with a usual brush. "
>
> So for working on a mask or a layer with an associated selection (like
> filter layer), the user should use the ordinary painting tools, right? And
> using a selection should select the mask and make it possible to cut,
> transform etc?

Yes, we should use ordinary tools. Selection tools will just add a global
selection, not affecting layer's one in any way. This global selection will
just affect the ordinary tools with which you paint on this mask.

--
Dmitry Kazakov