IRC meeting

Mag. Leonhard Landrock 1977-Hamlet at gmx.at
Mon Sep 27 21:42:07 CEST 2010

<grossosilvio at yahoo.it>wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > > maybe more people  are interested in sponsoring the
> >
> > development of Krita.
> >
> > I hope they are :-)

Although I didn't used Krita much in the past if you open a new campaign for
sponsoring work on Krita I will once again donate some money.   :-)

> > In my opinion, there are three things that might possibly attract
> > potential supporters.
> >
> > 1. working on a Windows ".exe" self-installer.

[...]

> > Most importantly, as everyone knows, most users work on Windows ;-)
>
> For a good windows port we would need a windows team. Currently no Krita
> developer works on windows. So with the current way we would just put a
> Linux developer on Windows for three months and at the end he would
> probably switch back to Linux.

[...]

Don't concetrate to much on Windows. I'm sure a Windows Port of Krita will
arise almost automatically when time is right: When Krita is stable and very
popular.

> > 2. working on a manual.
> > Needless to say, it is useless to have a super-powerful software if your
> > "average" user doesn't know how to use it.

[...]

> > This being said, generally, the documentation is not vastly produced by
> > the developers themselves :-)
> > This would be a waste of time and resources :-)

[...]

Documentation is a place where almost anyone can help. Any user who is able to
handle a PC, e-mail and/or IRC has enough knowledge to help. Think this way:

A user gets the Krita and plays with it. At the same time he starts writing
parts of the manual.

In some way Boudewijn tried this in the past (just have a look at
http://userbase.kde.org/User:Boudewijn/Krita/Manual) and I think it was a very
good way.

I by myself contributed some text (after asking for some clearification at the
mailing list).

Unfortunatly I did not have any time for Krita in the last months.

> > 3. trying to have a software which works well on pictures.
> > This is by far the MOST controversial suggestion:-)
> > Maybe I am totally wrong by proposing it :-)
> > To make it short, in my opinion, most users work on images instead of
> > making
> > drawing.
> > As a consequence, having a software which can allow them to modify a bit
> > their pictures would be a plus.
> > Gimp 2.8 won't allow to work on images with 16 bit color. Martin
> > Nordholts has explained that it will require 2-3 years before Gegl is
> > fully integrated
> > on Gimp.
> > By modifying I *only* mean applying some very simple corrections on it
> > (crop, curves tool, using levels for colour correction, and so on).
> > This, together, with the 16 bit color feature, might be enough.
> >
> > I am confident Krita must be totally focused in being a drawing software.
> > Otherwise, Krita might become "bloated", with far too many bugs to fix
> > :-( Nevertheless, Krita in the past had already most of these options
> > and, maybe, it would be not difficult to improve them a bit.
> > In the end, it is what every commercial software tries to do :-)
> > I have even read that Microsoft PowerPoint (version 2010) allows now its
> > users to modify a video :-) :-)

[...]

> Beside that Krita actually has these simple corrections. We have a crop
> tool, a transform tool and filters. I think when Krita community grows
> there will be more people interested in photo features and they might
> start to develop a photo-oriented application based on Krita.

[...]

I think Krita allready offers quite a lot for image manipulation.  I don't care
very much where the image comes from: It might be a photograph as well as a
drawing of an artist.

Keep concentrated on your vision. If Krita becomes the best "program for
sketching and painting, offering an end–to–end solution for creating digital
painting files from scratch by masters." with "fields of painting that Krita
explicitly supports" beeing "concept art, creation of comics and textures for
rendering." (text copyright http://krita.org/) it will for sure spread to the
neighboured fields of image manipulation.

To make it short:

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND BE ASURED THAT THE COMUNITY REWARDS YOUR DEDICATION
TO KRITA!

Best regards,
Leonhard.