IRC meeting

Silvio Grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Sun Sep 26 22:33:24 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

> maybe more people  are interested in sponsoring the
development of Krita.

I hope they are :-)

In my opinion, there are three things that might possibly attract potential
supporters.

1. working on a Windows ".exe" self-installer.
The best would be to have it "portable", that is, not requiring any
privilege, as administrator, to install it on Windows.
Probably, the best would be having only Windows 7 as target for it. This in
order to reduce the bugs reports :-)
As of today, there are far too many Windows systems to support.
On top of that, Windows 7 is probably the best system ever released by
Microsoft :-)
All Linux open-source software for "drawing" have a Windows version:
MyPaint, Gimp, Inkscape, Alchemy, (Blender), Pencil, OpenOffice draw.
Most importantly, as everyone knows, most users work on Windows ;-)

2. working on a manual.
Needless to say, it is useless to have a super-powerful software if your
"average" user doesn't know how to use it.
For instance, Krita has the text tool which is a bit difficult to find out
because the other similar softwares have it on a different position :-)
As everyone knows, Gimp and Inkscape, for instance, have both a magnificent
documentation.
This being said, generally, the documentation is not vastly produced by the
developers themselves :-)
This would be a waste of time and resources :-)

3. trying to have a software which works well on pictures.
This is by far the MOST controversial suggestion:-)
Maybe I am totally wrong by proposing it :-)
To make it short, in my opinion, most users work on images instead of making
drawing.
As a consequence, having a software which can allow them to modify a bit
their pictures would be a plus.
Gimp 2.8 won't allow to work on images with 16 bit color. Martin Nordholts
has explained that it will require 2-3 years before Gegl is fully integrated
on Gimp.
By modifying I *only* mean applying some very simple corrections on it
(crop, curves tool, using levels for colour correction, and so on).
This, together, with the 16 bit color feature, might be enough.

I am confident Krita must be totally focused in being a drawing software.
Otherwise, Krita might become "bloated", with far too many bugs to fix :-(
Nevertheless, Krita in the past had already most of these options and,
maybe, it would be not difficult to improve them a bit.
In the end, it is what every commercial software tries to do :-)
I have even read that Microsoft PowerPoint (version 2010) allows now its
users to modify a video :-) :-)

Best regards,

Silvio