UI Improvement to the brush dialog

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Sun Oct 24 08:44:21 CEST 2010

Hi,

I had like to discuss several possible improvement for the brush dialog.

1) Add a multiplier combobox to some of the KisSliderSpinBox. It would be seen
as a combobox (with choice like x0.1 x1 x2 x10...). The idea is that sometime
I work with small brush diameters, and it is difficult to select with
precision the diameter, so I would restrict the diameter range to 0->10, and
add a 1x, 10x and 100x multiplier. Similary for the scale of predefined brush,
for now, we have the range 0->2, David wants to increase the maximum value,
personnally I have the oposite problem, I have big brushes (~1000x1000) and I
sometime want to scale them more than 0.01 (or with greater precision), so
there I would change the range to 0->1 and have x0.1 x1 and x10 as multiplier.
We could also use the multiplier idea for spacing.

2) who knows what the value on the curves correspond too ? So we need axis
legend. And rather than just values, I think we can be a little bit smarter.
For instance, for "size", I would indeed use values, but for "rotation" I
would use icons showing the actual direction, either using arrows or a line on
a circle, for the colors option I would take the current colors and show a
gradient. Opacity would be a gradient too.
Not sure about mirror, I don't know what the curve does. And for softness (why
don't we use the same word for softness and fade ?) we could have a circle
brush that represent both extremeties.

Same ideas for sensors legend, "pressure" would say "low pressure" / "high
pressure" the angles would use the arrow icons mentioned above. For tilt we
could show a pen and a paper with different angles. Not sure about time,
distance, fade and fuzzy, maybe just use the values for them.

If you have other ideas, feel free to express them :) (or if you don't like my
ideas)

--
Cyrille Berger Skott