KisSelection vs. KisPixelSelection

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 12:44:12 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Dmitry Kazakov <dimula73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
>
>> Why does KisSelection inherit KisPaintDevice instead of KisPixelSelection?
>> They share so much code!
>>

> Btw, is KisSelection used as a paint device anywhere? And is it used used
> as a paint device for *writing*?
>
> The second point is even more important, i think, because in case we do any
> transformations to KisSelection (just right the thing mpeg wanted to do
> recently) we must flatten all shape and pixel selections into a single pixel
> selection first[1]. Does it happen so now?
>
> [1] - it means that there will be no shape selections left after
> flattening.

KisSelection doesn't inherit from KisPixelSelection, because it's just a
projection for pixel and shape selection. Every time you want to do
something with the selection you have to apply the operation to the pixel
and vector selection and not to the KisSelection, because otherwise the
KisSelection would be reset the next time the projection is updated.