Impasto discussion

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 22:01:06 CEST 2010

> I think, instead of rendering every layer, it is better to use
> > COMPOSITE_ALPHA_DARKEN for impasto channel. It'll be much cheaper. In
> such a
> > case, the final impasto value of the point on projection will be equal to
> > the value of the most opaque layer.
>
> No, that doesn't work well, as I explained:
> > That technique has obvious problems, since it effectively amounts to
> > carving an alpha-mask-shaped hole in the underlying layers' impasto,
> > rather than letting the layer as a whole float above the layers beneath.

Well, maybe I don't understand something... I meant the following:
* every layer has an impasto channel
* let's have three layers:

Layer1: alpha=transparent; impasto=100;
Layer2: alpha=opaque; impasto=125;
Layer3: alpha=transparent; impasto=50;

The result impasto value will be: 125

Isn't it what expected?

>  (Also, it lets you do things like assign different materials to each
> layer. Different light source, even, though I don't know why you would
> want to do that. But I could see different materials.)

Yeah, different material is a good point for per-layer impasto.

PS:
Btw, if we manage to implement impasto as a filter, per-layer impasto will
be easily achieved with a usual Filter Mask.

--
Dmitry Kazakov