RGB 16 bit as default when starting Krita

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Wed Jan 20 14:56:03 CET 2010

Hello,

On IRC, I was suggesting that Krita start to using RGB 16bits as a default
when creating images. I don't think there is a good reason to create 8bits
image files nowdays. Of course, when you open an exisiting 8bits image, krita
would still open it as 8bits. Despite most display being limited to 6-8bits
display, when drawing, 16bits reduce most of the errors due to limited 8bits
range.

This also raise the discussion of wether to use sRGB (2.2 gamma) or scRGB
(linear in light) profile.

In favor of sRGB:
* when saving to PNG or JPEG, krita embedd the color profile, but, most

In favor of scRGB:
* Fix a lot of gamma imperfection, for instance like scaling:
http://4p8.com/eric.brasseur/gamma.html

An alternative could be to use scRGB in Krita, and then to add a "convert to
sRGB" option in png, jpeg and tiff that would be checked by default.
--
Cyrille Berger