Comic Book Studio

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Thu Dec 2 15:39:20 CET 2010

On Thursday 02 December 2010, Franz Glauber wrote:
> Where can I get to know this workflow? What is already there?
Well the outline of the workflow is on:
http://community.kde.org/Krita/Comic_Book_Studio

It needs more flesh. I was thinking the other day on how to make the
transition "scenario" -> "storyboard". My idea was that the scenario would be
cut into chapter and paragraph. Then the author would get to select how many
pages per chapter, and then link the paragraph to each page.

To take an example, a comic following the event of "Star Wars Episode IV"

Chapter 1: Tantoine
<par1>The imperial forces are attacking the rebel ships.
<par2>The droids are escaping.
<par3>On the ground the droids are captures.
<par4>Luke buy them
<par5>R2D2 go to Obi-Wan
<par6>...
Chapter 2: The death star
Chatper 3: The attack of the rebel base

The author affect 20 pages to chapter 1. Then decide that <par1> is page1,
that <par2>, <par3> and <par4> is page2, <par5> is page3...

Then he gets to the story board creation (which would actually open krita),
where he has on the image a special layer that allow to define the boxes of
the page (maybe he can select templates, or get a wizard to define the numbers
of cells...), here I have no shame in getting inspiration from Manga Studio :)
The story board would be made at low resolution.

And when it comes to the creation of the page itself, inside the window of
Comic Book Studio, the user click on a box, it opens krita, with two layers,
one showing the limit of the box (especially usefull for non square one), and
one with the content of the story board (a bit like in the video of Manga
Studio). And this time at higher resolution. While the artist draw in Krita,
the result is automatically inserted in the page by CBS.

What would need a special treatment is to allow creative things like a drawing
escaping from a box. But we could have a tool in CBS, where the user select an
area of the page, and it get backs inside krita for the drawing.

> Maybe I can
> help with this (coding, testing, whatever... =))
That would be nice :)

--
Cyrille Berger Skott