KisLayerTest in hellgrind

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 19:59:28 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 December 2010, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> > > We have random failure of the KisLayerTest, and I am wondering if it is
> not
> > > associated with some of the random crash we have in krita. Following
> Mark's
> > > suggestion on IRC I ran helgrind on KisLayerTest (running it on krita
> is
> > > impossible), and I get the following errors. I hope someone (ie Dmitry
> :D)
> > > can
> > > figure out something out of it.
> > >

> > Hm.. i will try to reproduce this crash.
>
> It's more than a crash: helgrind clearly shows we have some issues in the
> threading code for the projection calculation. Whether or not you can
> actually reproduce the crash isn't that much of an issue, as long as we can
> make the layer test run cleanly under helgrind :-)

The problem is, hellgring output is almost useless here, as tiles engine
uses a lockless approach for the data access. But the hellgrind is intended
to work with the structures protected with mutexes and etc, so it'll think
our code a complete solid issue ;). So it doesn't proof much. There is a
couple of interesting lines, though.

>  > But it'll happen in the beginning
> > of the next week. I have to do some stuff for the university right now.
>
> I think that means that we should wait with the RC until you've had time to
> look at the issues. To me, this is clearly a release blocking issue.

If it is reproducible (esp. on different systems), this is surely an issue
=) Just don't rely on hellgrind output much.

--
Dmitry Kazakov