Review Request: KRITA: fix for Bug 185767 - Tool buttons don't get disabled on shape layer

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sun Apr 11 19:27:52 CEST 2010

Hello,

The reason why Krita does not hide its pixel painting tools when switching to
shape layers is that it confuse users. We had a lot of users in 2.0 beta time
that "lost" their tools, because selecting the "freehand" tool (which didn't
have vector in its name at that time) creates a shape layer, and hide all
Krita tools. Having the tool visible and disable show the user that the tools
exist and are simply not available at the moment.

When it comes to [1], there is less disagreement than it seems. I totally
agree with Sven vision, it is much better than mine. *But* it is not an easy
job, and I do think that my vision is better than the current situation. And
last month in Deventer, it was more or less decided that the "default" tools
should be hidden on krita unless a vector layer is selected, in which case the
Krita tools are also hidden, which makes sense since Krita is primary a
*pixel* application. In other word, for 2.3 we would go for my vision of [1],
and then ideally in the future someone would implement Sven's vision.

But to the best of my knowledge there is currently no API to hide the default
toolbox, nor API to make sure that Krita tools would be shown above the
navigation tools. Which we need to add for 2.3.

[1] http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Libs/Brainstorming/Toolbox
--
Cyrille Berger