Krita and MyPaint: differences between their goals

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Sun Apr 11 09:36:12 CEST 2010

Hello Folks,

Lately I have been using MyPaint 0.8.2 version (on Windows xp home edition).
To make it short, I have been wondering what are the main differences between MyPaint and Krita?
Quite probably, this is a too generic question. I am aware of that :-)
On the whole, in my opinion, Krita has much more tools than MyPaint.
It suffices to take a look at both their GUI to grasp that :-)
Unfortunately, what I can't really figure it out, is the strenght of both softwares regarding the painting.
In other words, what are the goals for both softwares regarding the painting department?

At present, it is difficult to understand their different features and strenghts because of the lack of documentation for both softwares :-(
On the whole, it seems to me that, for instance, Krita has currently 2 brush engines whereas Paint has "only" one (but, maybe, I am completely wrong).
For both sofwares there a lot of new features which have been working out lately :-)
When the brushes of MyPaint will be fully compatible on Krita one user might start a painting with MyPaint and finish it with Krita and vice versa.
As a consequence, BOTH softwares are useful. Thus, my question is not which one is the "better" one :-)
What I am trying hard to understand is, whether or not, one software is more "useful" than the other one regarding some ways of painting?

Best regards,

Silvio