A first part of the layers/masks patch

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 22:02:14 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Dmitry Kazakov <dimula73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net>wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 26 September 2009, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:

>> > Well, no. You've not fixed that. It's just a workaround.
>> >
>> > Testcase:
>> > 1) Create any mask (e.g. transparency mask)
>> > 2) Paint something on a mask to get transparency
>> >
>> > Let's imagine after these steps you decide to make some rect visible
>> again,
>> > what are you going to do? In a good editor you just select this rect
>> with
>> > selection and fill it with a white color (or any semi-transparent
>> one(!)).
>> Why white ?
>>

> I can't remember which color is used usually (e.g. in a "well known
> graphical editor"). I guess, when we paint with white paint the image
> becomes opaque, when we paint with black paint - becomes transparent, with
> gray color - becomes semi-transparent.

At the moment there is a fundamental difference between Gimp/Photoshop and
Krita in the way we see masks. In both cases we have and (8-bit) one channel
paint device, so not a technical difference.
The actual difference is how these channel is interpreted: In Gimp/Photoshop
is a grayscale representation while in Krita it's an alpha representation.

The grayscale way is probably what most artists are used too, even if the
meaning of black and white is arbitary. The advantage is that it match good
with gradient and fill.

The way Krita uses is closer to the physical representation either there is
something (color) or you can look through it. The problem that Dmitry
descibes is that the only way to "paint" transparency is the eraser tool in
Krita, which might be unusual for users form other editors. The bigger
problem is that you e.g. can't use a transparent color in the fill tool.

I hope that's the correctly summarizes it.