Whither Krita?

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Sep 25 12:58:03 CEST 2009

> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:05:42 +0200
> From: Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
> On Thursday 24 September 2009, Moritz Moeller wrote:
>> I can also assure you that neither is any harder to implement than
>> anything Krita does currently. :)
>> A node based core is cretainly a lot of work. Really a lot. Procedural
>> brushes aren't
>
> Is gegl a real node-based core? That took forever, longer than Krita,
> actually.

A simple DAC is probably easily written in C++. IMO the question is, to
what extent shall a node based system take over application tasks. As
there can be many, thats much of work up to the level to build a UI.

In gegl the goal was and is to take over many of a photo editor
internals. Øyvind could shurely explain in more detail.

The idea is great, provide a view of the DAG's result, connect to some
events, build a UI for DAG manipulation and magically many things are
done. As Moritz pointed out, the UI can start with something simple.

What takes most of my time during development of a node system for
Oyranos, is to settle to useful APIs and move all the abstractions in the
better places.

With a existing and working plan of all of the small details, a node
system could shurely be coded more quickly. That's probably typical for
any (re-)invention ;-)

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--