whither krita -- summary

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 21:39:47 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 September 2009, Cyrille Berger wrote:
>
> > I will let you count how many different way you have to make a new layer
> :)
> >  We need to make cuts in that menu. I would be tempted to move all the
> >  transform business (rotate, shear, mirror...) in the transform tool
> (it's
> >  the koffice intereaction model after all). Maybe the metadata could be
> >  merged with properties. I would also merge layer and mask menu, most of
> >  the entry are the same, and we could just disable those that don't
> apply.
>
> I really want to cut down the layer menu before we release. Specifically,
> I want to remove:
>
>  * layer/new: everything above the separator, that's also in the layer box
>  * remove, hide, properties, raise, lower, top, bottom
>
> (because these aren't synched with the options in the layerbox, leading to
> bugs).
>
>  * tonemapping to layer/effects
>
> I would love metadata to be in properties, instead of the menu, let's just
> make that another tab. It doesn't add a string, so we can do it now.
>
> And aol to merging the layer and the mask menu, but I'm not sure that
> that's
> actually easy to do.

I think we should keep the layer/new just to keep it consistent. There are
even more option than in the layerbox.
I would keep remove and properties too for completeness. Hide/show should
go.

I agree that raise, lower, top, bottom waste much space there, we could move
them to a seperate submenu (or remove).
Same for scale, mirror, rotate and shear. These would fit into a
Transformation submenu.

Flatten image should be in image, I think.

The mask menu should be merged into the layer menu. The problem I see is
that are mask are not really layers and the differentiation would be
weakened.