whither krita -- summary

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 24 19:18:08 CEST 2009

On Thursday 24 September 2009, Cyrille Berger wrote:

> I am not aiming at making krita easy to learn, but rather on ease of use.

I think we intend the same -- all the same, currently our layer menu threatens
to drop below my plasma panel.

> Well, we were mentioing fud :)

I'd say part ignorance, part being informed.

> kparts isn't a running service, kdeinit is mostly used to preload
>  libraries, that would be loaded anyway. That leave kded.

And dbus.

> Maybe we need a FAQ:
> "What I most dislike, is the need to install kde office suite to have it"
> No you don't.

Our faq disappeared, too, didn't it, with the website reform?

> > And, actually, the services a kde needs to have running mean that it's
> > very unlikely that there will ever be a krita installer for windows or a
> > krita dmg for OSX.
>
> hum we have that for windows. I just think that those platforms need love.

Do you mean the kde-windows installer? Because I don't think that really
counts. It's not an installer for Krita, so it weirds out everyone who doesn't
know about the linux way.

> > Krita right now can do a lot of things a little, but there isn't anything
> >  at all that it can do well, let alone excel at. Sometimes that is caused
> >  by our abysmal performance, sometimes it's just because the features are
> >  not sufficiently finished and not well integrated.
>
> Yes. Lets focus on that then :)

Indeed.

> Well not really. And there isn't a good tool to do that on linux at the
> moment. But would require investigation on the workflow (what I usually do
> is design something in a vector application, import in a raster
> application to do cutting then write the css from the pieces). Lets not
> focus on that, anyway.

Phew :-). We've got a lot on our plate already.

> Well we have some good UI concept as well, like the filter "class", the
>  paintop "class" and tool "class", I think we more have a problem of
>  uniformity, most paintop widgets seems different from one an other. Filter
>  aren't really better.

That's a good  point.