Whither Krita?

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 05:49:52 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
>

>> So -- what is the story about Krita? What can make Krita compelling to the
>> artist? I think it makes sense to individually identify why we are
>> personally
>> working on Krita and what we want to get out of it in the first place, and
>> use that to develop a vision for Krita that we can work towards.
>>

> This was an interesting thread - although I admit I only skimmed it.
>
> I didn't see a lot of direct answers to this question though --- what is
> Krita's reason for being?   What will differentiate it from things like Gimp
> or MyPaint
>
> 5 years ago, there were a lot of gaps in the Gimp, and Krita seemed
> targeted to fill those gaps.
>
> From my position on the outside, it really looks to me like the Gimp is
> gonna fill 'em itself before Krita 2 is stable enough to be used...  The
> Gimp already has relatively decent colour space support, and it sounds like
> higher bit depth support is coming down the pipes.
>
> Maybe it won't have quite as flexible a brush model as Krita --- but is
> that a sufficient differentiator?
>
> I'd be curious as to what people think the 'mission statement' for Krita
> ought to be.
>
> Or maybe that was already established and I missed it in my skim of the
> thread..

Just because Gimp has implemented some of the features we have have too that
doesn't we can't do photo manipulation.
Krita has many differences from Gimp, like colorspaces (painterly comes in
mind), brush engines, vector integration with the Karbon and the rest of
KOffice.

In the end we should still develop the application that we want and other
apps should be inspiration not limitation.