Whither Krita?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 22 18:08:30 CEST 2009

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 September 2009, Sven Langkamp wrote:
>> What would a 'color space change' mask be? Is there a case were it's needed
>> to convert the colorspace manually with a mask?
> Yes. Two cases actually, tone-mapping and raw. For raw, some of the algorithms
> can be applied on a raw colorspace (well curves), some other would need to be
> applied on a RGB one.

I thought we'd said we wouldn't have a "RAW" colorspace, just va16¹? You
can't debayer as a mask² anyway, it's a specialized convolution filter.

(¹ 'v' = value = grayscale)
(² at least I think not; wouldn't a cs-conversion mask normally be
necessarily 1:1?)

This is actually a good point, though, what is the use case for
cs-convert as a mask? I would rather have it built into filters, such
that you can specify how the filter should read its input (i.e. what
color space, what channel(s)).

IOW, instead of filter takes cs of underlying layer and applies to all
channels, you have this:

under layer -> cs conversion+selector -> filter -> cs conversion+mapping
-> channel fill -> layer blending

The default of course is 'underlying cs, all channels' and 'underlying
cs, normal mapping'. But you could have, for example:

   blending
   map to pb,pr channels, ypbpr
   gaussian blur
   ypbpr, pb,pr channels
rgb layer

...a.k.a. "chromatic noise reduction" :-).

IOW how it works is, you say what channel(s) you want to feed the
filter. An implicit cs conversion is done to get these channels. The
filter needn't know what they are, all it knows is how many channels it
operates on. This gives you that many output channels, which you map
onto whatever channels of whatever cs you want. If you have all channels
in that cs, you can skip channel fill, else you convert the input to the
output cs and use that to fill in whatever channels you are missing.
Then you perform blending as normal.

Hmm... okay I thought of a reason for masks :-). You could use them to
arrange for layer blending to be done in a certain color space.

I guess a better question is if you can set up a stack where you can
leverage conversion masks to accomplish the above. Mostly channel
selection is the problem, I think... also if the UI wouldn't be better
parking the above stuff with the filter.

--
Matthew
End of Transmission