Whither Krita?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Sep 16 11:16:06 CEST 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Cyrille Berger wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 September 2009, Thomas Zander wrote:
> >   On Tuesday 15. September 2009 21.52.32 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > * performance: krita just is too slow to work with. 1.6 was slow, but not
> > > too slow, 2.x is way too slow. This prevents me from actually having fun
> > > painting, more than a lack of features of our brush engines.
> >
> > Do you think these are solvable?
> I hope so :)

I am sure they are solvable and that we can do it. We have some good tools
and we know some problem areas (tile caching, brush mask recomputation,
projection display, locking).

> > Do you have an idea where the issues are or how to attack them?
> As far as I am concern, I didn't had time to take care of that so far... I
> used 2.1 as an opportunity to rework some of the things that were introduced
> in 2.0 and that wasn't done to my satisfaction. Maybe we could set 2.2 on the
> sign performance.

None of us has had the time. And there are still some things that need
to be refactored in the core -- the tile3 system needs to be finished,
Dmitry's work on projections, the possible filter refactor, the brush
presets.

For me the desirable outcome of this discussion would be a consensus on
where we are going, what needs to be done and who will do what. Perhaps
even with some sort of process for reviewing design and implementation,
so we know what everyone is working on.

Boudewijn