Whither Krita?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Sep 15 23:12:11 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 15. September 2009 21.52.32 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> * performance: krita just is too slow to work with. 1.6 was slow, but not
> too slow, 2.x is way too slow. This prevents me from actually having fun
> painting, more than a lack of features of our brush engines.

Do you think these are solvable?
Do you have an idea where the issues are or how to attack them?
I can completely see that making things fast is quite a different skill from
making a paint app.

> * stability: we have serious stability issues. Going out on a limb, I'd
> say that most are related to integration issues with KOffice libraries,
> instead of problems in our own core code.

I'll trust your judgment on that and I do recall that there are several
concepts in krita that don't mix all that well with koffice-libs. Softpointers
and typedefs for example.
Maybe it would be a great idea to have a couple of days of pair programming
to flush these inconsistencies out. I volunteer to be the one that brings in
the koffice-libs knowledge.
--
Thomas Zander