Krita useable for Blender movies

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Oct 24 09:39:43 CEST 2009

On Friday 23 October 2009, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Friday 23 October 2009, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Depends a bit on which tile engine you're talking about -- the currently
> > active one has that nasty lock that kicks in whenever a tile is accessed.
> > This effectively serializes everything in Krita -- see the mutrace output
> > I posted a while ago. The second one doesn't support swapping, so it's
> > not comparable.
>
> Hmmmm I feel like I should nuance this a tiny bit. Yes, there is a big
>  lock. Yes, it has a lot of contention. But, it only serializes the tile
>  management (creating new tile info, swapping data to/from disk, etc.), not
>  actual data processing. I'd say the most contention you get currently is
>  due to the fact that it also locks during swapping, not because of
>  serializing tile data accesses globally or so.

It's worth investigating, since I saw an enormous amount of contention even
when just painting on a 640x480 image which shouldn't swap at all. I was under
the impression that if a paint device got extended, it would ask for a new
tile from the tile manager, and that that was also protected by the BKL.