Krita useable for Blender movies

LukasT.dev@gmail.com lukast.dev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 14:59:13 CEST 2009

On Friday 23 October 2009 14:49:07 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 23 October 2009, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> > Well, i agree with you! =) If you say this code is rarely used, it won't
> > help us boost performance =)
> >
> > PS:
> > /me still thinks that using strings for internally used constants is a
> > bad practice =)
> > And /me doesn't think implicit sharing of QString will excuse it.
> > But i wont argue about it this time =)
>
> Indeed it doesn't, I just read the Qt code: it first compares the size,
>  then does a very optimized memory comparison. I would have thought it
>  would have done a comparison of the shared pointer, but no doubt the Qt
>  hackers know better.

I'm student of image processing and we are taught that Strings, no matter how
they are implemented, are in the end expensive in image processing. I never
seen them in code which aims to be fast (OpenGL, OpenCV,...).

But I don't say we should rewrite Krita and throw away QString, I just would
not use them for comparison in loops etc. And the loops can be hidden pretty
much, you can't say that this or that code will not be in a loop in the end.
The reason? Because of complexity of Krita and image processing in general.