How to access the popup discussion

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Nov 23 08:25:49 CET 2009

On Friday 20 November 2009, Vera Lukman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have spent some time to think about this but I haven't got any good
> solution yet. What is the best way to access the pop up palette? Right
> now it  can be accessed by right clicking, but that is good because
> there is no way to distinguish single-click and double-click.
>
> Current ideas:
> 1. Double-left-click: not good for the reason explained above
> 2. Double-right-click: not good for the same reason
> 3. Right-click: reserved
> 4. CTRL+(a key): What key? Hard to use for tablet (PC) users
> 5. Tool tip behaviour - when the mouse coordinate doesn't move for say
> .5 seconds then the palette will show up: irritating

I think middle-click and a button in the brushes and stuff toolbar would be
best, actually. Maybe we can also define a hotspot in the bottom-left of the
image that pops up the palette on hover and hides it on paint, but I'm wary
about such things. They don't work all that well in Art Rage.

As for a keyboard shortcut: it's not necessary to limit us to ctrl-key, we can
use a plain key, like we do for pan or switching fg/bg color. I'd propose 'v'
or 'g' to be compatible with MyPaint.

What I do think should happen in any case when the palette has been made
visible, is to hide it when painting and show it on mouse-up -- but not at the
cursor position.