The future of the dynamic brush

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri May 1 15:56:40 CEST 2009

On Monday 27 April 2009, enki wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > > Another idea could be to make of the left list of the brush dialog a
> > > tree view, instead of a simple list :

Er... Assuming we are talking about the same thing, I'd rather not make it a
tree. Trees are horribly to navigate, especially with a stylus. A categorized
view would be nicer. But it would be best to attempt to keep the number of
options down to a set that fits on screen.

Maybe I should have written a bit more design documentation about what I was
trying to do in the preset popup -- although it was in conception pretty
simple: do more or less what Photoshop 7 does.

The popup is meant to be used while painting, to give access to the most
useful options, not as a complete brush designer, like Corel Draw has.
Although we probably need that, too. The goal is to make it easy to change
things while painting, as well as to make it easy to save and select custom
presets. Having a complete programming interface makes that hard to achieve.