Incremental painting in paint tools

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Jun 25 00:10:51 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 24 June 2009, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> Good evening, everybody!
>
> Could someone explain me, what is (was) "incremental painting" (and (!
> KisTool::m_incrementalPainting)) used for?
> What is it supposed to do and what is it's current state?
It's set up by paintop (wash vs build-up modes), basically, we have two modes:
* painting is done directly on the current layer using the current composite
op
* painting is done on a temporary layer using the "alpha darken" composite op,
then that layer is composed on the current layer

The interest of the second mode is that if you set opacity = 50% for drawing,
when you draw, you will never draw more than 50% of opacity.

> I simply get a bit strange behavior with it, freehand tool and new memento
> manager. There are two KisTransactions created during one single click on
> canvas and massing COW'ing comes. I'm thinking it over atm... =)
Sounds correct, one KisTransaction for the temporary layer, and one for the
current layer. (that said, it might be worth investigating not doing
transaction for the temporary layer, sound useless, but maybe some paintop
relies on the oldRawData ?)

--
Cyrille Berger