A couple of problems using Krita

David wizzardx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:09:46 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Boudewijn Rempt<boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, David wrote:
>
>> One way to do it (which I think Gimp does), is when you use the Move
>> tool, is find the highest non-transparent pixel in the layers, and
>> then select that (and then start moving).
>
> It's actually not that straight-forward, because we've got groups.
> If we hit the first non-transparent pixel on a layer that's inside
> a group, do we move the group, or that child layer?

Good question. In programs like Inkscape, grouping images means you
can't edit them (until you ungroup again), so the group is always
selected, but that makes sense in that context. In Krita, grouped
layers still need to be editable.

I guess one way to handle it would be to always select the child
layer, except when the child layer is locked, in which case the
closest parent group (that isn't locked) gets selected? (since, layers
which are locked can't be moved in the first place in Krita).

How do programs like Photoshop usually handle this?