A couple of problems using Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jun 9 12:16:18 CEST 2009

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, David wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong list, I couldn't find a krita users mailinglist.

No, this is perfectly fine!

> I want to use Krita instead of Gimp for some editing, since Krita has
> layer groups which I need at the moment (my current hack: Importing
> images into Inkscape with pixel-level snapping, re-arranging and
> grouping as needed, and then exporting images from Inkscape, which I
> touch up with Gimp). However, there are two things about Krita which
> bug me so far (I've used it very little). Perhaps someone could give
> tips?
>
> - Zooming in with the mouse wheel zoomz towards the center of the
> screen, rather than towards the mouse pointer. This is annoying, I
> have to go to the slider and drag it over the whole time.

This is 1.6, I guess? Because 2.0 is even more annying :-(. There, the
scroll wheel scrolls the page, because that's default for all of KOffice.
This is definitely something we will want to address, though. But that
won't help you _now_, I'm afraid.

> - There doesn't seem to be a way to select layers by clicking on the
> canvas. You have to find the layer in the layers list. This will be
> painful when there are dozens of layers (eg: one per image being
> worked with in the project, with lots of little images).

This is more difficult, since in Krita (unlike in Gimp), layers are
all of an infinite size, which means that each layer fills the whole
image size (and beyond). So you can start painting anywhere on a layer,
move the layer and continue painting on a newly exposed area.  But that
also makes it hard to do "click-through" to transparent areas.  I had
the same problem when I was doing a collage of KOffice screenshots,
I was always moving the wrong layer because I thought I could just click
on it.

If might be implementable in the move tool, though. I'll think on that.

Boudewijn