selection behaviour on paste: user input needed

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jun 1 11:07:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

Krita used to have a per-layer selection instead of a global one, so that if
you pasted a clip to a new layer, the new layer wouldn't have a selection.

Now we have a global selection, so if you select something, cut/copy it and
paste it to a new layer, the selection stays active on the new layer. This can
be confusing, so we need to have a new behaviour:

* deselect the global selection on paste (this is what photoshop does)
* create a new global selection on paste that selects the outline of the clip
(this is what gimp does)
* keep the current global selection

There are other options, like

* create a local selection from the global selection and set it on the
original layer, clear the global selection...

Personally, I feel that deselecting automatically would be most useful for
most users, but I would like input on this question. We might even make it a
setting...