fake miniature filter

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jan 11 14:08:28 CET 2009

On Saturday 10 January 2009, Moritz Moeller wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > Not really sure of what it does... Is it more than bluring the bottom
> > and top part of the image, and sharpening the middle part ?
>
> Yep. All that is needed is a way to feed the amount of blur with a layer
> mask or grayscale image.
>
> This is something badly missing from many layer-based programs: the
> ability to use layers (or channels of layers) as inputs to parameters of
> filters applied to (other) layers.

That's basically what a bumpmap filter in Krita or Gimp does, isn't it? Take a
layer (or mask, both are nodes) and use it to determine modifications in
another layer or mask. I think I already finished porting the bumpmap filter
this summer, so there's an example ready for anyone who wants to implement
such a filter.