Diagnosing a tablet headache (QT bug?)

Brendon Higgins blhiggins at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 01:09:18 CET 2009

Boudewijn Rempt wrote (Saturday 14 February 2009):
> On Saturday 14 February 2009, Brendon Higgins wrote:
> That is strange... I haven't had problems with my tablet (intuos and a
> built- in wacom on my tablet pc), at least not with the ordinary brush
> paintop. What tablet are you using? And if it is a wacom, which version of
> the wacom software?

Argh, I meant to add that info. XD
Wacom Graphire 4 (A5 size). wacom-tools 0.8.1.6, the latest version packaged
for Debian. I notice upstream has a newer release. When I get a chance I'll
have a read of the changelog and see if anything sounds relevant.

> > They appear in kis_qpainter_canvas.cpp and kis_opengl_canvas2.cpp. I
> > whipped up a little PyQT app to test if QT was actually reporting my
> > tablet events properly. It seems that hiResGlobal functions work
> > correctly, in that they report screen-pixel positions with beyond-integer
> > accuracy. However, x() and y() functions seem to report raw tablet X/Y
> > data (i.e. points can go up well into the thousands). I believe this is
> > what messes up Krita's calculations.
> >
> > Is that normal (i.e. should Krita not be using those functions that way),
> > or do you suppose this is a QT bug? I'm using QT 4.4.3 (unstable Debs)
> > and Krita 2 beta 6 (experimental Debs).
>
> It looks like a Qt problem -- the x and y methods are defined to be in
> screen coordinates, not untranslated tablet coordinates. Could you open a
> bug report on bugs.kde.org so we can track the issue?

Righto, will do. Yes, the coords certainly seem to be untranslated; they fit
within the range I would expect.

You mean I should assign it to the Krita (or KOffice) product, yes?

> Thanks for investigating!

You're welcome. I've actually been chipping away at this problem
intermittently for a few weeks, each time I get annoyed with GIMP and remind
myself why it's the only thing that works for me ATM. :'(

I'll file the bug later today (hopefully).

Peace,
Brendon