30-bit displaying with Krita?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Dec 24 14:38:34 CET 2009

On Thursday 24 December 2009, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> I wrote in the hope that supporting GL_RGB16/GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT would be a
> minor task given that Krita can already use the well supported industry
> standard OpenGL API.

Oh, yes, that should be relatively easy, especially since we already used to
use GL_RGBA16F_ARB, GL_HALF_FLOAT_ARB, GLEW_ARB_texture_float or
GLEW_ATI_texture_float where necessary. There is some fixing to do as well,
since the deprecation of the old floating point colorspaces broke these as
well, and we might just as well add support for 16 bit integer to the opengl
canvas.

I'm also not worried about divergent capabilities of the opengl and qpainter
canvas: opengl already can do some things qpainter can't, like 3-d cursors,
shaders for gradient preview and all that.