30-bit displaying with Krita?

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Dec 24 12:40:09 CET 2009

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:39:30 +0100 (CET)
From: Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, LukasT.dev at gmail.com wrote:

>> I did not know about display that has bigger channel size then 8 bit So
>> you have 30 bit per channel right?
>
> 10 bits -- those displays are beginning to become affordable, for some
> values of affordable.

... and people, who are willing to spent that money will explore the
changed quality.

Please keep in mind that motion picture rendering is done to higher than
8-bit. As well I would guess that cinema displaying is as well 10 or
12-bit[1]. So for the according people it makes sense to see that
quality already during manipulations. If Krita is intented to have an
audience in motion picture related editing, I guess it makes sense to
support the higher bit depths.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema#Technology