The future of the dynamic brush

enki enkithan at free.fr
Mon Apr 27 13:36:09 CEST 2009

Cyrille Berger wrote:

> > Another idea could be to make of the left list of the brush dialog a
> > tree view, instead of a simple list : each sensors would be an item in
> > the sub-list. Clicking on an item of the list would load a dialog
> > similar to your image. (So my idea is exactly how it is done now, except
> > sensors are moved in a sub-tree :p).
> Wouldn't that make the list/tree a bit overloaded ? since I also
> intended to add quiet a few more actions (angle, ratio, some for color
> manipulation (hue, staturation, value), scatter).
Hm yes you're right. Seems there is only enough space for ~20 items in
the current list.
With all known actions & sensors, and just one tree opened, the list
would be completely filled :/.
> An other possibility is to just have a list view but that will make
> the widget even bigger.
Yeah :/

What about tab/buttons ? Text labels would be replaced by icons, so they
all can fit in the window's width, in one line. The layout would be the
same than in you mock-up. The only difficulty then, would be to make
clear and sharp icons. Tooltips could be used to describe the sensors
better, though.
Good examples, I think, are the Style docker and GIMP's color selector
docker.