DockWidget catcher

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sat Apr 25 17:33:33 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have been playing around with the idea of a DockWidget catcher, the idea is
a tab bar where the user drag a DockWidget, and then the dockwidget opperate
as a popup with a button in the bar, if you have used photoshop, it's used for
the brush settings (see [2]).
In Krita, we have been wanting to use something similar, also for the paintop
settings. Currently it's a popup widget, but we would like to have the
possibility to depopup it and have it has a dock widget. So on a small screen
you use it as popup, and when you have a bigger screen, you can move it to a
docker.
I don't know if it's usefull for other application, unfortunately it's rather
intrusive, to do this I had to reimplement QDockWidget::event (to check when
the title bar of the dock is released on the tab bar) , as far as I can see,
the only solution would be to have this in kolibs. Even if only useful in
Krita. You can see the code in a sample application in [1].

If it's ok, next step is to integrate it in libs/main, instead of
reimplementing QDockWidget::event, I will probably have to do this in
KoDockWidgetTitleBar.

The main outstanding issue is that I am not sure how to correctly restore the
state.

[1] http://cyrille.diwi.org/tmp/koffice/dockercatcher.tar.bz2
[2] http://www.webdesign.org/img_articles/8278/7.jpg
--