Wanted: channel remapping with implicit colorspace conversion

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 18 22:19:00 CEST 2008

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> Tiles are hidden in Krita. You don't see them, and don't have to care
>>> about them. (and yes we have convolution-like filters for quiet some
>>> times now)
>> ...but the filters need to know about them, yes? (At least, enough to
>> say "and btw, I need X surrounding pixels to work"?)
> No. Who told you we were using tiles to store images ? The point is the filter
> doens't have to care or to know. That said, we have a function in the filter
> that tell how much pixels the filter need around the working area. But that's
> not used by the data manager, but rather for mutlithreading purpose ;)

Er... right, but I thought that's what I was talking about. I think my
wording has been pretty bad; what I meant to say was, I am thinking that
the filter saying how much surrounding pixels it needs is important,
yes? Or can krita infer that?

Anyway this whole conversation is getting out of control, the important
part is "yes, convolution-like filters work".

>> What did you think of importing bayer'd data as i16 gray? Good idea? Bad
>> idea?
> Good idea up to a small detail. I don't think that filter that output to a
> different color space than the input color space works well currently. But
> that's implementation detail ;)

That's... an implementation detail that's probably good to fix :-). Um,
yeah, especially since that's exactly what I want a gradient map filter
to do (input: gray, output: rgb). Which happens to be the same
conversion de-bayer would need.

Anyway, we already mentioned feature freeze, so none of this is
super-short-term stuff. I imagine there will be time to get the
infrastructure working.

> Metadata is stored inside the imported layer (that would be the one in
> grayscale). When flatening an image, we have different meta data merge
> strategy to create meta data for the resulting projection.

Ooh, cool :-). At any rate, it's sounding like this could work. Should I
go wiki-ize this conversation now? (If yes, do you want me to update the
page you previously pointed at, or start a new one?)

--
Matthew
ENOCOFFEE: operator suffering from lack of sleep and/or early-morning-itis