Yet another brush interface proposal

Valerie valerie_vk at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 08:44:20 CET 2008

> What I think David was looking for is painting with any paintop
> but have the resulting stroke being the mask for the filter --
> so, once Lukas Sumi-E paintop is done, you'd be able to paint
> noise using a Chinese brush simulation.

Oooh! Masks! I get it now. Does that actually work? It sounds fine
for generic brushes, but aren't natural media supposed to interact
in more complex manners than just a masked form, or is that behavior
included? Back when I tried Painter Classic for example, the
watercolor tool (or was it some other tool?) would have painting
dripping sliding down the canvas until it tried. If the resulting
paint is actually say... pencil, wouldn't that look... kind of
strange?

Interface-wise, I'd still rather have everything in the same place
anyway. Options can be added for a brush, but I think people would
find it strange if the options popping up include chalk drawing with
an airbrush...