recomposition redesign

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Mar 2 11:47:32 CET 2008

Hi,

Even with Qt4.4, QRegion is pretty crashy. Whether we're using it the wrong
way, or whether it is intriniscally unsuitable for what we're doing with it,
I don't know, but I've decided to try another approach:

* Give every node a KisProjection.
* If a node is dirtied, it notifies its KisProjection
* The KisProjection starts as many chunked update jobs as necessary for the
dirty area
* the jobs call updateProjection on the node
* Possibly, updateProjection checks whether there is a node underneath that
caches the composited stack completely (i.e., an adjustment layer) and starts
composition from there, else from the bottom
* whenever a job is ready, it notifies the parent node that it is dirty, and
the whole process starts again at a higher level
* until we arrive at the root group layer, when that's clear, we update the
canvas.

This is pretty generic and allows us to nest masks, even: we lose the
advantage of having a thread work on the same data until the whole stack is
done, so we may lose cache locality. We do get rid of the dirty region
administration in the nodes, which should fix the crashes. I'm also not sure
how to implement the roi feature (that was never activated anyway) where we
give priority to updating the visible area of the image.