.kra files missing

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jan 22 10:03:35 CET 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Nathaniel Gray wrote:

> Hi Krita devs,
>
> I've been looking for a good 16-bit capable photo editor on OS X (for
> under $600 ;-) and ended up installing Krita 1.6.3 from MacPorts.  I'm
> quite happy with what I've tried -- I was able to remove some pesky
> shadows from a favorite photo of mine without dropping to 8-bit and I
> liked the interface.  However, there was one rather bad problem.  In
> mid-stream I saved my work, choosing the native .kra format to
> preserve layers & selections.  Later I found that there was no .kra
> file anywhere.  Instead, I have a folder with the name I chose for the
> file containing some xml files and sub-folders.  Here's the directory
> tree:
>
> [n8gray at golux]% ls -AR ~/Desktop/selected-shadow
> built image/      documentinfo.xml  maindoc.xml       preview.png
>
> /Users/n8gray/Desktop/selected-shadow/built image:
> annotations/ layers/
>
> /Users/n8gray/Desktop/selected-shadow/built image/annotations:
> icc
>
> /Users/n8gray/Desktop/selected-shadow/built image/layers:
> layer0      layer0.icc  layer1      layer1.icc
>
> My guess is that this stuff was supposed to be archived into a single
> file or something, but I guess something went wrong.  I tried zipping
> it up and changing the extension to .kra but that didn't seem to
> work.  I would really like to recover this work -- can you suggest
> anything?

That should have worked. Likewise, krita  ~/Desktop/selected-shadow/maindox.xml should open
your image without problems. You shouldn't get these exploded files by default, but only
by selecting a special file type in the save as dialog. I can't check right now what it's
called, since I'm at work.

If that doesn't work for you, please zip up everything in selected-shadow and mail
me the file (boud at valdyas.org). I will take a look at it when I get home.

It may be a mac thing where there's a bug with kdelibs handling of mimetypes, I cannot check
that not having a working Mac. Could you try another KOffice app, e.g., KWord and save a document
as odt or kwd and see whether it also gets saved in exploded format?

> BTW, I'm really looking forward to 2.0 being ready.

Us too :-)