summer of code

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 28 19:18:53 CET 2008

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's time to generate new summer of code ideas for Krita so we can hopefully
> attract a couple of new developers. I've made a start:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Summer_of_Code/2008/Ideas#Krita

By "start", do you mean you added a header, or am I missing something? I
don't see anything listed under Krita.

> Please don't hesitate to add more ideas!

Hmm... my pet project? :-)

- add generator layers, implement for at least noise*, perlin, mw-plasma

- copy gimp plasma (preferably fold into mw-plasma)

- add solid-color, gradient generators

- convert other filters to generators as appropriate (e.g. lens flare;
any filter that uses its input only for compositing should be a generator)

- write apophysis plugin as a generator

(* "noise" = generic random-value-per-pixel algorithm)

(begin above-and-beyond things)

- add rotation and skew to perlin

- define unified API for procedural generators, apply to perlin

- add voroni generator using unified api

- add marble generator using unified api

- add "simple" generators (sine, wave, random paths, grid)

- copy other Bryce generators?

- add ability to combine procedural generators ala "phase":
     f(g(x, y), g'(x,y))

- rewrite mw-plasma as true procedural using unified API (the part that
sucks about this is that plasma looks much, much better with a high
number of octaves; as a non-procedural each pass is a higher octave and
reuses the already-calculated data, making it procedural will make it
much slower - and it's already not super-fast)

--
Matthew
Somewhere, there is a .sig so funny that reading it will cause an