PRNG proposal

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 24 02:38:56 CET 2008

Moritz Moeller wrote:
> Sorry for the blunt comment and I might be missing something obvious
> here, but: why not just use something proven and fast like mersenne
> twister? :)

No worries, it's a legitamite question. I actually looked at it briefly,
but AFAICT it's an iterative generator with no obvious way to make it
procedural (and I'm also not sure how fast it is). Krita needs a
procedural PRNG, that is prng(x, y, seed) must always give the same
result for the same values of x, y, seed, and must also generate results
over a region (x, y changing, seed constant) that both provides a
reasonable distribution and is free of obvious visual artifacts. (I
guess that qualifies as "something obvious"? ;-) )

If we needed an iterative PRNG I'd be advocating plain old *rand48
(which is actually permuteWhole from my algorithm), as it's extremely
simple, and generally adequate for moderate-quality PRNG, which I think
is all we need. Mersenne Twister, to my understanding, is a
higher-quality PRNG that is possibly overkill :-).

--
Matthew
このテキストを翻訳する時間の無駄だばかばかしい