Yet Another Brush Proposal

Valerie valerie_vk at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 11:26:57 CEST 2008

> NoooooO! Ok, let me try to explain. In PS, *all brushes* are stored in
> the user data area, which is how I would do things in Krita. So... try
> to load the user brushes. If the file does not exist, instead load a
> well-known set of brushes from the install directory. As soon as changes
> are made, save everything to the user data area; the stock brushes are
> never (automatically) read again.

Got it!
if brushes do not exist in user directory then install/copy one to
 there from install directory, then load from user directory
if brushes do exist then load from user directory

Install directory = you have no permissions over.
User directory = you do have permissions over.
But you're only copying from the install directory anyway.

Sounds awesome to me! If more features are added to the website, then
there could be an option for people to load brush sets like plugins!

> Yes, something like that. I'm aiming for my tool selection to work like
> real life. "I want, hmm, the #5 camelhair round brush, with some
> watercolor paint, 75% water, and <some color>. And I'll paint with the
> bezier tool." All the "CG knobs" should be available, but hidden behind
> good presets (even better if they can be hidden behind "simple"
> adjustments, but that's harder). Sort of like Painter; you can configure
> things up the wazoo, but in practice you'll end up with a few presets
> you like and rarely fiddle with them.

Well, I haven't really ever extensively used Painter. I'd say that
what CG artists do is actually have a few good presets, and fiddle
with just one or two parameters often. Ex.: size + fade distance,
or size + grain density. :)

In any case, I'd suggest "traditional" workspaces and "CG"
workspaces. Believe it or not, some people are actually more familiar
with the semi-technical terms than the actual painter terms. :P
(camelhair and color mixer what? And which tool behaves like
"multiply"?)

> Oh, absolutely. I'm looking at how the interface could be best
> decluttered, and I guess debating to an extent where I think the various
> settings should live. But I never suggested the knobs shouldn't be
> *available* :-).

Good luck! At least if workspaces ever get implemented, then that'd
leave plenty of room for experimentation without angering a lot of
people. :)