Status on generator layers? (boud?)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 1 03:29:54 CEST 2008

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Saturday 29 March 2008, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>> On Saturday 29 March 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> What's the status? I was hoping for a reference implementation I could
>>> look at to start doing a plasma generator-layer.
>> Everything is ready except for the ui to add a generator layer and the
>> dialog box to define the generator layer.
>
> Ah, I remember why I didn't do that:
>
> * suddenly the discussion started looking like we had better use filters for
> those layers after all

It did? Do you remember which message?

Offhand, that doesn't seem right; some things I would like to see are
actually solid-color generators (PS has these since PS7; I find them
useful), gradient generators, etc. Anyway, the distinction is mainly:

- filter: operates on the underlying pixels
- generator: does not care about the underlying pixels (much like a
regular layer)

I think the main reason for them to be separate is so that you know not
to ask a generator to update when the layers below change. Though
perhaps this can be built into filters somehow?

> * I couldn't decide whether to adapt the current infrastructure for filter
> dialogs (with the treeview), or fix up a modified version of the filters
> listwidget for use in the dialog.

Ok, that I don't have a suggestion for ;-).

I sure wish the UI worked (a bit hard to test without it :-) other than
"yes, the code compiles"). A reference implementation would be nice,
also. In fact, the solid color implementation would be nice, especially
as on further thought I think it's more valuable than a basic noise
generator (though that means you'll need to point me at the random
function).

--
Matthew
I think I want my tombstone to read: