New color conversion system

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Sep 26 21:33:03 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 26 September 2007, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> CinePaint don't has such. It sits on lcms, and I am tired to glue all
> those hacks together. Could never fullfill realy good. My hope was Glasgow
> to start something new and clear.

I've got the impression that Glasgow isn't moving very fast :-(

> Tonemapping in CinePaint?
> Cyrille should have the last say with his SoC project mentorship. Any
> news?
>
> I know you think about Pigment being a cool C++ library. Is Pigment just a
> prototype or already used?

Pigment is already used in Krita. In fact, it's just our 1.6 color library
ripped out, made stand-alonish and even more cooler.

> Or in other words, could you turn you shoes slightly to direct to
> simple C.

That would be pretty hard. We rely a lot on templates to make sure we only
have the bare minimum of essential work when adding a new colorspace.

> I expect it would more easily fit in a open source CMM framework.
> A floating point CMM together with lcms and argyll's libicc would be cool.
>
> If you plan only for KDE so be it.

It would probably not be too hard to make Pigment plain standard C++ by
replacing the Qt dependencies with the STL, but we'd need a pretty strong
reason to go that extra mile, like actual help and user applications. After
all, we're short-handed, like every project on this earth :-)