Open as Layer / speed of copy-paste

Warren Baird photogeekmtl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 17:06:47 CEST 2007

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Nah the best approach is "Layer > new > insert image as layer...". And for
> some reason "insert image as layer" doesn't appear in the new layer icon of
> the layers view.

That works...    I actually did look through all of the menus looking
for an option like that, and didn't actually find that option.    I
think the issue was that I view this primarily as an alternative way to
open a file, so I was looking primarily for a menu item with one or more
of those words.

I'm still not sure that "insert image" really captures the operation.
   I know I went through the 'Layer > New' menu looking for what I
wanted, and didn't realize that "insert image" was what I wanted.

I'm not sure how much of it is just that I'm polluted by using Gimp for
so long, but I think it might be a good idea to work either file and/or
open in there...    something like "insert file as ..." or "open file as
..."

Personally I tend to think of an "image" as something I can actively
look at --- meaning for instance a jpeg file that has already been
opened and is being displayed...

Just my $0.02

Warren