Open as Layer / speed of copy-paste

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Sep 14 16:22:28 CEST 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007 16:07, Warren Baird wrote:
> Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Warren Baird wrote:
> >
> > krita will, until the gimp is geglified, always be a bit slower than the
> > gimp because we cannot hardcode for four one-byte channels. But we're
> > working on optmizations, yes.
>
> well...   To give a concrete example, on my Dell D410 laptop (Pentium M
> 1.7ghz with 1gb of ram) on the gimp it was less than a second to copy an
> 8mp images from one window and paste it as a layer in another...   As
> fast as I could alt-tab between the windows and press control-v, the
> image appeared immediately. In Krita it took about 25 seconds to copy
> the image, and another 5 seconds to paste it again.   I characterize
> that as a more than 'a bit slower'...  :-)

No, no, you got me wrong here! I meant  "We will always a bit slower -- even
after optimizing" :-). Right now we're quite a bit slower. My desktop with
512 mb ram seems a bit faster than your machine copying a 4000x2000 image,
but it's not good enough. There are certain settings in the performance tab
that may help -- swappiness and tiles in memory. Every tile takes about 16kb
of memory, so if you've got one Gb, you could try setting that to something
like 500000 (we really should calculate that based on the memory of the
computer krita is running on). That makes about 10 to 15 s difference on my
computer.

What swappiness does is for Bart Coppens to explain. I never quite got that.

> On a slightly related note --- I'm getting my first dual core cpu on
> Monday  (a macbook pro) - is Krita threaded in any way - will it take
> advantage of both cores?

Not 1.6. Krita trunk is quite aggressive in making use of threads wherever it
can, and Bart is working on making that even better.